Any way the people are super nice, they love us vahaza's. That is the word for white foreigner. The little kids especially love us. The food is pretty good. I have had tons of rice. We aren't supposed to eat street food due to it sitting there for days. The meat is hanging in the open with who knows what on it. Also it smells really bad here. I can't tell if it is from people going to the bathroom wherever they want. My nose is slowly getting used to it.
The language is insane. I can't understand anything that people say. I thought that I would do alright, but this is insane. My companion Elder Rigby has helped me a lot. He tells me what people say and will randomly hand the lesson over to me when we teach. That is definitely hard. After I finish he has always told me that he is very impressed by what I say. He has told me that in some of the lessons where the investigator was not understanding that what I said completely turned the lesson around and the investigator started to understand. I just go by the spirit. I have to because I can't understand anything.
Also today is my p-day as you could have guessed. We went to a zoo and bribed the guards to let us in the cages with the lemurs. It was awesome. They are so soft. The guards put honey on us and let the lemurs lick it off. At one point I had one on my head. I don't know if i can get the video home or not. I will try. As for teaching we teach 3 or 4 lessons a day. The work is going well. haven't scheduled any baptisms, but Elder Rigby already had some scheduled for september 6th. If you have any more questions let me know. love you.
Elder Hammer
I completely forgot to tell you where I am. I am in a place called Ambohipo. Itsa is in Tana. We are in a ward. My companion is from Logan, UT. He is way cool. we get along very well. The housing here is very nice. I don't think I have taken a picture of it, but I will. We have electricity so an electric razor would be nice. As for mail, it takes anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 months to get home or to get it here. If you do send anything put pictures of Jesus on the box and on the seams where you open it. They like to open mail here and if there are pictures of jesus on the box they are less likely to open it. Also just send it to the mission home. They will get it to me from there. Sending the extra pages to my journal right now might be a good idea. Our ward is one of the strongest in Madagascar. We get about 150-200 people each week. I think that is about it for now. Love you.
Elder Hammer
P.S. Put a lot of pictures of jesus on the box. If you can find jesus stickers that would work better.
I forgot to tell you about the buses here. I need to take a picture, but depending on the size of the bus they cram up to 20-30 people on one bus. They aren't even a real bus. It is more like a downsized version of a 15 seater van. It is ridiculous. You will get people sitting on you if the bus is to full. You can also hop in the back door as they are moving and hang on out the back. Then the guy in charge of the monety will ask you for your money in which you can give it to him or pass it up if he is not close enough. We take buses everyday. It is a lot of fun. I am praying that I don't ever have to drive here. A bunch of missionaries learned how to drive stick here. If you can drive here you can drive any where. Another thing that I was told is that it is extremely rare to serve your mission here without pooping your pants at least once. There is an elder that has been here for 7 weeks now and has already pooped his. The food here destroys your bowels. I already have "diarhea". Its not quite at that point, but it is getting there. The elders that have been here for a while told us to not be afraid to ask to use the bathroom during a lesson.
Elder Hammer
No comments:
Post a Comment