Friday, November 26, 2010

Amazing Week

Well, what can I say? This week was awesome. Probably one of the best I've had so far in the mission. I guess I'll start by wishing everybody a happy Thanksgiving this week, that way I don't forget to do it later. haha. Alrighty then; so last week I told you about Peter. He is one of many parts of why this week was so great. We met with him last Sunday, and taught him the Restoration. That was when he told us he'd need to think about getting baptized. Well, we met with him again on Wednesday, and it was a great lesson again. We had given him 3 Nephi 11 to read about baptism, and he told us that after he had read the chapter, he felt that it was something he needs to do, so he prayed and felt the same way! We told him that was the Holy Ghost confirming that these things are true to him. We also set a date for his baptism on the 12th of December. We then taught him the Plan of Salvation and he loved that. He told us that he had no idea about where we came from or what happens after life, so he fully accepts the Plan of Salvation now. He committed to come to church with us on sunday too, which he did. He had a great time there too. I sat with him during Sacrament meeting, and he was asking me questions about things. It was a really good meeting too. The speakers were great. We took him to the Gospel Principles class for the second hour. The lesson there was on the Gathering of the House of Israel. I'm not sure if he got too much out of it, but that's ok. haha. Then we took him to Priesthood. He had chosen to go to the adult sunday school class, but we wanted him to go with the YM for Priesthood. It was a great lesson there too. I feel like church was just perfect for him. haha. They talked about the duties of teachers in the priesthood, and then they said that they were going to go fulfill their duties, and visit the YM who weren't there. So, Peter went with them! I can't say that I would do the same if it was my first time ever at church. But, he had a good time, and said that he will definitely be back next week. He also told us that Harry Potter 7 is amazing too :)

Next up would be a man named Jose Monteiro. He is a member referral, who is also the son of one of our members in the ward. I was a bit nervous about getting a referral from this particular family because we just found out that the last referral they gave us is dead now... But that's a different story. Jose is great. He is in his thirties (at least I'm assuming he is - he has a 17 year old son) and he is looking for more in his life. He is divorced, and his kids live in Florida. He wants to be a better father to them, and he says that he's seen the blessings that have come to his mom and sister, who are the members in our ward. He is staying with a few of the other members in our ward, rather than with his mom, and that's where we taught him. We went over the Restoration and he had no problems with it. He said he'd be at church, and he also accepted a baptismal date for December 12! He had a good time at church too. In Elder's quorum when he introduced himself, he said "Hi I'm Jose, and hopefully I'll join and be here for a long time"!!! Wow, that was cool, everybody in priesthood liked that too.

You might remember me talking about Leandro a while back. Well, we talked to him again, and he wants to continue learning. He is in some pretty deep depression right now, and oddly enough, the cause of his depression is that he has tried and failed twice at being baptized. He is sincerely interested, but his commitment level is pretty low. We met with him last friday and he basically told us that he wants to try again. We taught him the Restoration again, and talked alot about faith, and shared with him from Alma 36 about not focusing on the past, but focusing on right now. He seemed like our discussion helped, and he said that he'd be at church, and he also accepted a baptismal date for the 12th! Too bad he actually didn't come to church. That was a bummer. He was so sincere when we were talking to him, but I guess we'll see what happened. At least he texted us and told us that he wasn't in Boston, but would call us when he gets back... Hopefully that is soon. But, I think as long as he is willing to put in the effort that is needed, he will be able to make it this time. He just needs to realize that himself.

Also, just yesterday, we met a man named Nicholas. He has apparently met with the missionaries before. He invited us in and we started teaching him about the Restoration as well. He is a very religious man, and is really interested in our church. The only problem is when we got into his house, I had a Book of Mormon in my hand, and he's like "That book right there is my only problem. If it wasn't for that book, I would have been a Mormon 15 years ago." Ummm, yeah that's a problem. haha. He doesn't believe in the Book of Mormon, or Joseph Smith, and it completely blew his mind when I showed him a picture of President Monson and told him that he is the Prophet on the earth today. That was the most animated reaction to that I've ever had. He was honestly speechless, and basically ended the lesson after that happened. But, he said he would be more serious about it this time, and he committed to read from the Book of Mormon, and we set up a return appointment for next Wednesday, which is when we are meeting with both Peter and Jose again too. Oh, and we extended a baptismal date to him, but he didn't accept it yet.

Well, that was 4 things that really made this week amazing. You might think that's everything I've got, but I have one more thing. On Saturday, we got to go to the temple to watch one of the families in our ward get sealed. It's been just over a year since the wife got baptized, and they have been working ever since then to get to the temple. It was definitely one of the coolest things I've ever done. I was so excited when they invited us to go with them. I've never seen a live sealing before, so that was cool to see. Another cool part about it was that the sealer is in our ward too. There were about 25 people there, all from our ward, and it was easily one of the most powerful spiritual experiences I've ever had. It was amazing. Especially cause they have a 4 year old daughter, who is one of the coolest little girls I've ever met. It was actually her birthday. Cool present, huh? But it was a very special experience and I am so glad that I had the opportunity to be part of it.

So I think this email is long enough now, so I'll wrap it up. Mom, yes I would like a conference ensign. We get one to share, but having my own would be nice. Question: In the back of the ensign, it has some comments from families about things they do to keep conference with them, One of them under FHE suggestions says Vern and Jennifer from Utah. I thought that was cool, if its who I'm thinking it is. Alrighty then, I'd best be going now. Hope you all have a wonderful week! Love you all!!

Love,
Elder Hammer


P.S. GO BYU!!!!!!!! If BYU beats utah, and tcu goes to a BCS game, would BYU go to the Vegas bowl again? just wondering. bye

No comments:

Post a Comment