So, this might not be a very big email cause there just isn't a whole lot to talk about today. This week was extremely slow. We only taught 1 lesson to investigators. ouch. I guess that is a cool thing, now that I think of it. He is a member referral from one of the guys in our ward. We met with him and were able to talk about part of the first lesson. He seems pretty interested because he wants to know why his friend, who is the member that referred him to us, is always happy. Oh yeah, remember how we were teaching Will Smith? Well, we aren't anymore, but this guy's name is Samuel Jackson. haha. And he's pretty cool. We are meeting with him again today. He came to church yesterday and I think he liked it. I didn't get to talk to him though, cause I was translating for sacrament meeting and relief society. Hopefully he'll accept a baptismal date this time, cause last time we met with him, he said he'd have to think about it. So that's about it for him.
Before I forget, how's the family doing with the challenge I extended a few weeks ago to pray about a date to have someone taught in your home? Hopefully you've talked about it and are trying to do it...
So Mom wants to know about Lowell. Lowell is pretty awesome. There hasn't been a day since I've been here that I haven't heard police sirens. haha. If that's the kind of stuff you want to know about ;) Basically Lowell is just a city that used to be very industrial but over the years that has since faded and now it's just a bunch of ghetto apartments and ghetto people, but for the most part, they are cool ghetto people. If that makes sense. haha. There are roughly 150,000 people in Lowell. I don't know what I'm basing that off of, I just guessed. :) There are lost of old factories and mills that have either been turned into apartments or just abandoned. It's a pretty dirty city, with garbage lying all over the streets. Like everywhere. That's one thing I won't be used to when I come home - not seeing garbage all over the place. haha. The apartments are all really close to each other, and there are usually upwards of 10-25 people living in one house. Usually there are anywhere between 3 and 8 apartments in one building. It is actually a lot like Lynn. It's a bit bigger than Lynn area wise, but Lynn is more condensed. Lowell, however, has more Cambodians and they are more condensed than in Lynn. I still like Lynn more than Lowell, but it is nice to actually use my language. haha. There are lots of asian supermarkets, which are cool to go in and look at stuff, but I don't buy stuff there often because they are usually really dirty, and on occasion even have pigeons and other birds flying around in them. haha. The surrounding towns are NOTHING like Lowell. There are about 5 towns surrounding Lowell, and they are all rich people that only live in Mass. during the summer, and have other houses around the world that they stay at during other times of the year. Those places are really pretty. I like them a lot. Overall, Lowell is a pretty cool place. UMASS Lowell (University of Massachusetts) is kinda taking over the city, which is a good thing. They are building new things all over the city trying to expand their enrollment. I think by 2015, they will be able to accomodate 35,000 students. Oh yeah, and no we aren't near the ocean, which stinks. I miss seeing that every day. But we are right next to the Merrimack River, which is a pretty big river. Big enough to drive boats and skidoos and stuff around in. That's where they do the Cambodian Water Festival (which is coming up in about a month) along the River. Our apartment is just one of the normal ones in Lowell. We live on the first floor of what looks like a normal house, but it has 3 floors and other people live on those. That's how all the apartments are in Lynn and Lowell. They just look like normal houses, but are divided into different floors. They are a lot longer though. Pretty bad description, but whatever.
Ok well I think that's about it this week. I printed off some more pictures today, but my binder isn't quite full so it'll probably be about a month or so before I send it home. I hear there's a Captain America movie coming out. How does that look? How many more superhero movies does marvel have to do until they are ready for the Avengers movie? Just curious. Well, I hope you all have a fantabulous week. Hope to hear from some of you this week. Love ya! Peace
Love
Elder Hammer
Wednesday, July 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment