Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Staying in R&R (That's Rough and Ready)

Transfer calls came and we got the news that both Elder Garner and myself will be staying here in the Penn Valley Ward. It's looking like he's going to tie for being my companion for the longest. At the end of this transfer we will have spent 18 weeks together. Schiffman was my other companion who I was with for that long last year when I was in Cottonwood and then we both went up to Fall River. That feels like a different lifetime...weird. With both of us being together in this area for 3 transfers now it will be interesting to see what happens next transfer. Anything goes, as always, but now President could really shake things up if he wanted to.

So, here's an update on the Condons. We taught Janine the stop smoking workshop last week at one of the ward member's homes. (By the way, I have gained such a testimony of the power of fellowshipping in missionary work. Members are crucial to make things happen!!!) The lesson went really well and both Janine and her daughter-in-law, Tiffany, commited to quit. The next day, I was with one of my ZLs on exchanges and we went to stop by the Condon's to see how things were going.... Well, they weren't going so well when we got there. We happened to show up at the exact same time that Jason (the dad) was kicking his son and daughter-in-law out of the house. Janine was bawling, and everything was just kind of a mess. We just sort of stood off to the side while everything was happening, and once John and Tiffany drove off in their unregistered Honda Civic Jason came over to talk. I looked at him and told him there was no way that it was just a coincidence that we showed up at that very moment. He took us inside and we sat and listened to them vent for a while. We were able to talk about the power that comes from reading the Book of Mormon and they commited to read from it as a family that day. As we left, I looked Jason in the eye and told him I loved him and we were there for them. He grabbed me in a hug and said thanks and that I'd never know how much he appreciated what we were doing. It was pretty cool. Since that time, we have continued to make daily contact with them and even though things are still crazy, there is a lot of really good progression happening. I think the biggest miracle that has happened with them is that they came to church on Sunday!!! I almost cried when I saw them walk in through the doors of the chapel!! Since Elder Garner and I came here back at the end of January, we haven't had any investigators at church until this week when the Condons came! It was awesome! Janine is on track to get baptized on May 15th. Just as a side note: she broke down and cried when we told her on Sunday that transfers were this week. She said she hates transfers and that she really didn't want either of us to go. You should have heard how happy she was when we called yesterday to tell her the good news!! Man I love the Condons even though they drive me up a wall sometimes! These people are incredible and they need the Gospel so badly.

Kadin, sorry to hear about the busted fingers. As far as I can tell, you are officially the first Hammer kid to break any bones. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Mom) Congratulations!! : ) I hope it gets feeling better soon for ya. I'm sure it hurts. Sorry man!

Time is running out and I need to send Devin a quick email. Thanks for everything ya'll do! Love ya!
Be MIGHTY!

Elder J. Hammertime

No comments:

Post a Comment