Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Another Week

Alrighty then, the highlight of this past week was the 4 day training meeting that we had on the simplified curriculum at the MTC. Wow! Few of the meetings that I have been to on my mission have been as productive and spiritual as this one was. I learned things in this meeting that are going to stay with me forever. As more and more of my mission goes by, I realize just how much the things that I am experiencing here are preparing me for the rest of my life. This meeting really gave me a new perspective on how crucial the role of the Holy Ghost is in our lives. The missionary work is going to go forward like it's never done as the missionaries around the world learn and apply the principles that we discussed. I am thrilled to be a part of the work at this time and I am excited to see the changes that are going to take place in the lives of the members of the church as a result of what we are learning. The information isn't new, but it's been focused in a way that really helps us as missionaries (and as children of God too) to fulfill the roles that we have as teachers.

Elder Dowling and I stayed with the missionaries in Roseville for the 4 days that we were down there. We would go to our meeting in the morning and then exchange with the Roseville Elders in the evening. Something that really hit me is just how grateful I am to have served in the more humble areas of the mission. Roseville is a fairly affluent area and I really got the vibe while I was there that many of the people were so caught up in worldy pursuits that their pride would prevent them from being receptive to us. On the other hand, the area I am in now, Olivehurst, is totally opposite of Roseville. There are few wealthy people in the area, and most of those that live here are living in conditions I would never dream of being in myself. However, I have been amazed at how prepared they are at receiving our message. We have four baptismal dates set right now and two other investigators that we have taught have said that they want to be baptized, but they aren't ready for a date. While we are out visiting people, those that we speak with are so willing to meet with us and be taught. For example, we talked to a man yesterday who was outside working on some sort of small wagon. His appearance wasn't the most welcoming, but I could care less about that. As we spoke, we found out that his grandmother was a member of the church and that she had a very strong impact on his life. He has made some big mistakes in his lifetime, but he told us that he's trying to do what is right. We commited him to get baptized on the spot and he said yes. We gave him a temple pass-a-long card and he started asking us some questions about it. We told him about the opportunity that he could have to go inside some day and be sealed to his family. As we were leaving, we got his information, found out he doesn't live in our area (we gave his info to the Elders who cover his area in our Zone), and told him that we would be stopping by this week to teach him. He was very accepting and he is anxious to talk to us. It was amazing!

The only thing that I am not thrilled about with this area is the active members. They have no idea what kind of success is waiting for them in their own back-yards. Both Elder Dowling and myself feel that our area could handle two sets of English missionaries, but that the ward wouldn't know what to do with all the people we would be bringing them. It's hard to describe exactly what the ward is like, but if I had to choose something I'd say that they are too comfortable with what they have and they are too quick to make excuses to not help. Most of our area is fairly poor, except for one community. There are some big houses there and it's a nice neighborhood. About 75% of the 30% active membership in the ward live in that community. Frustrating... If we could somehow generate some excitement with them I think that they would get it, but it seems that they are just too comfortable. Hometeaching in our ward is ridiculous too, so it's not just missionary work that is suffering at the ward level (although I consider all the work we do in the church as the same). We'll see what we can do.

I think that's about it for the week. Mom, I did receive your package and the zuchinni bread with the coconut frosting was bomb! Thanks for the letters everyone, too! Kasey, I appreciated the update you gave me. It sounds like you've had quite the summer! Good luck with everything in high-school. Take things seriously, but you've got to have some serious fun too because it's over before you know it. Tell Chris Pope hi for me too when you talk to him next. Devin, I got your package this past week also. Thanks a ton. The hat is sweet and the pictures are great too! I'll see what I can do to get you something sometime. Everyone have a great week and keep being awesome! Oh, by the way, I heard that my departure date got changed to the 18th of December instead of the 21st because the church doesn't want to fly us out that close to Christmas. I belive that's a Saturday. That will give me three more days to get my head on straight before diving head first into school... Have you been able to figure anything more out about that yet? Just wondering.......only 15 weeks left......geez : )

Love you all!
Be mighty!

Elder Justin Hammer

No comments:

Post a Comment